AK-47 maker Kalashnikov gives rifles makeover

Posted: December 3, 2014 by gamegetterII in firearms
Tags: ,

Mikhail Kalashnikov, inventor of the Kalashnikov assault rifle

The Russian manufacturer of the AK-47 assault rifle has unveiled a new look for its guns, as well as a new logo, at a glitzy event in Moscow.

The company is also branching out into fashion, launching a line of branded survival gear.

The firm, which relies heavily on the export market, is among the targets of Western sanctions imposed over Russia’s role in the Ukraine conflict.

The Kalashnikov, or AK-47, is one of the world’s most recognisable weapons.

The gun is relatively cheap as well as easy to manufacture and maintain, contributing to its popularity with guerrilla forces and national armies in Asia and Africa.

It is thought that more than 100 million Kalashnikov rifles have been sold worldwide. The inventor of the rifle, Soviet Lt-Gen Mikhail Kalashnikov, died last year.

At Tuesday’s event in Moscow, the manufacturer – now known as Kalashnikov Concern – revealed a new logo featuring the letters K and C.

Women in tight black dresses wandered around holding AK-47 ammunition cartridges, while an orchestra played patriotic Russian classics, the Moscow Times reported.

According to the website of Russia Today, the manufacturer also has two new slogans – “Protecting Peace” in English, and “Weapons of Peace” in Russian.

The company says it sold 140,000 guns in 2014 – double the figure for the previous year.

Kalashnikov CEO Alexei Krivoruchko said the firm intended to modernise production with a view to making 300,000 weapons annually by 2020.

Western sanctions have reportedly stalled an order for some 200,000 rifles intended for sale in the US and Canada.

“The US market was very important for us,” the Moscow Times quoted Mr Krivoruchko as saying.

The sanctions have also led to the cancellation of a marketing campaign featuring Hollywood action hero Steven Seagal, Agence France-Presse reports.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30302261

Images of new-look Kalashnikov

Following Michael Brown’s tragic death, millions of people across the nation and around the world have focused their attention on unfolding events in Ferguson, both grieving together and making their voices heard.

In recent days, many have been captivated by ongoing developments, anguished emotions, peaceful protests — and, too often, deeply unfortunate images of unnecessary destruction. And this tragic incident has sparked a necessary, national conversation about the need to ensure trust and build strong relationships between law enforcement officials and the communities they serve.

Events in Ferguson have revealed a deep distrust between a community and its police force. But this reality is not limited to one location. Other communities around this country know this struggle all too well. And it’s abundantly clear that every single one of us has a role to play in tackling this problem together, as a nation — to identify those things that bind us, and to be honest with one another about the things that continue to divide us.

In August, President Obama ordered a review of federal funding and programs that provide equipment to state and local law enforcement agencies. Yesterday, the Administration released that review’s findings — and announced key next steps to strengthen the trust in and effectiveness of the policing of our communities.

Learn more about yesterday’s announcements, and the findings of the Administration’s review.

Here are the next steps we’re taking:

  1. Creating a new task force to promote the expansion of 21st century community-oriented policing.
  2. Reforming how the federal government equips local law enforcement, particularly with military-style equipment.
    1. Advancing the use of body-worn cameras and promoting proven community policing initiatives.

    I know this has been a difficult time for people in Ferguson, and for many others across the country. It will take time for things to get better. But as I assured Ferguson residents during my visit there, in August, the Obama administration is firmly committed to making the progress we need — and that all of our citizens deserve.

    The changes that the President announced yesterday are exactly the sorts of programmatic steps that will bring the right people together to engage in a constructive, national conversation — so we can build trust, address persistent concerns, and protect public safety while respecting the rights of every American.

    Last Tuesday, addressing the public, the President said, “[to] those who are prepared to work constructively, your President will work with you.” I am committed to answering

    the President’s call to see this through — as are the men and women of the United States Department of Justice.

    Learn more about yesterday’s announcements here — and spread the word to anyone who wants to know how we’re moving forward as a nation.

    Thank you,

    Eric H. Holder, Jr.

INSIDE KOBANI: Kurdish women on the frontline

Posted: December 3, 2014 by gamegetterII in ISIS
Tags:

Video…

https://news.yahoo.com/video/father-daughter-fight-islamic-state-111542507.html

KOBANI, Syria (AP) — On the front lines of the battle for Kobani, Kurdish female fighters have been playing a major role in helping defend the Syrian town from an onslaught by the Islamic State extremist group.

Pervin Kobani, the 19-year-old daughter of a farmer, is one of them.

She is part of a team holding an eastern front-line position that comes under regular attack from the extremist fighters, who have been trying to seize the town since mid-September.

The Islamic State group has declared a self-styled caliphate in areas under its control in Iraq and Syria, governing it according to its violent interpretation of Shariah law. The Kurdish men and women fighting in Kobani are determined not to lose the town to the extremists.

An exclusive report shot by videojournalist Jake Simkin inside Kobani late last month offered a rare, in-depth glimpse of the destruction that more than two months of fighting has inflicted on the Kurdish town in northern Syria by the Turkish border.

It also illustrated what life is like for fighters like Pervin, who says she doesn’t really have dreams beyond the present.

“We must save our love for Apo, and Kurdistan and our martyrs,” she said, referring to Kurdish rebel leader Abdullah Ocalan, whose group has been fighting Turkey for Kurdish autonomy.

Nearby, one of Pervin’s comrades saw something moving amid the destroyed remains of central Kobani and opened fire.

http://news.yahoo.com/inside-kobani-kurdish-women-frontline-105057293.html

Something to think about…

Posted: December 3, 2014 by gamegetterII in Uncategorized

Gun rights, even in New Jersey

Posted: December 2, 2014 by gamegetterII in gun rights
Tags: , ,

I blogged in April about In the Matter of the Application by Michael McGovern, which offers some interesting (though non-precedential) views on New Jersey gun law. As I noted then, New Jersey requires a license to buy a handgun, and allows sheriffs to deny such licenses if the person was not of “good character and good repute in the community” or “where the issuance would not be in the interest of the public health, safety or welfare.” There is, however, an appellate review process.

Michael McGovern was denied a license, for several reasons. First, the Jersey City Police Department requires applicants to fill out extra forms, beyond those required by state law; McGovern refused to fill them out, arguing that state law didn’t authorize them.

Second, the trial court reviewing the department’s denial took the view that such uncooperativeness showed a lack of “good repute within the community.”

Third, the police department discovered that McGovern had a few arrests in Florida 10 years earlier, for petty theft, resisting arrest, and failures to appear in court or pay a fine for possession of an alcoholic beverage while under 21; it did not find any conviction record, but demanded that McGovern give further details on the incidents, and provide court records from the Florida courts. “There are no final dispositions listed for these offenses. You will have to get certified dispositions from the Courts involved as to the outcome of these charges. This department also has a concern over your actions during the incidents.” McGovern refused to provide these items.

Fourth, the government argued that McGovern acted wrongly by “surreptitiously record[ing] a conversation” with the police detective who was dealing with the case (though the trial court did not expressly rely on this justification).

The appellate court ruled in McGovern’s favor, for reasons I’ll mention shortly. But for now, I wanted to blog this photograph, which Mr. McGovern was kind enough to send me:

“I’m off to the range to break in my HK45c,” writes Mr. McGovern, and asks me to thank his appellate counsel Louis Nappen of The Nappen Law Firm, as well as Louie (Luigi) DeCecco of Louie G’s Outdoors.

In any event, here’s what the Appellate Division held back in April, and what led to the final success in November:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/12/01/gun-rights-even-in-new-jersey/

NRA…

Tomorrow, December 3, the Ohio Senate Civil Justice Committee will hold additional testimony hearings on House Bill 234 and Senate Bill 338 with the possibility of a vote on them.

HB 234, sponsored by state Representative Cheryl Grossman (R-23), would revise state law to allow a person to use a firearm sound suppressor while hunting in the Buckeye State.  Currently, more than half of the states across the country permit hunters to use suppressors while hunting.  There are numerous benefits to hunting with suppressed firearms, including:

  • Elimination of noise complaints frequently used as an excuse to close hunting lands throughout the country, resulting in the protection of hunting areas well into the future.
  • Reduction of recoil and muzzle rise resulting in increased accuracy of hunters.  More accurate shooting in the field means fewer wounded and lost animals, good for both hunters and wildlife.
  • Reduction in muzzle report to hearing-safe levels, limiting the risk that the hunter or anyone with the hunter will suffer permanent hearing loss if they fail to use hearing protection.

SB 338, introduced by state Senator Joe Uecker (R-14), makes improvements to Ohio’s current concealed carry laws, including:

  • Closing a public property loophole in state law by preventing persons or entities leasing certain government property from banning concealed handguns from the premises.
  • Reducing the number of training hours required to obtain a concealed carry permit from 12 hours to 8 hours and eliminate the two-hour minimum live-fire training requirement.
  • Allowing investigators in the Attorney General’s office to carry a concealed weapon while investigating nursing homes, residential care facilities, long-term care facilities, Medicaid programs, and patient abuse or neglect violations.

The Senate Civil Justice Committee hearing on these important pro-gun bills will take place tomorrow at 9:45 a.m. in the North Hearing Room of the state Capitol.  Using the contact information provided below, please call and e-mail members of this Senate committee today and urge them to support HB 234 and SB 338.

Senate Civil Justice Committee:

Senator Bill Coley (R-4), Chairman
(614) 466-8072
E-mail

Senator Larry Obhof (R-22), Vice Chairman
(614) 466-7505
E-mail

Senator Kevin Bacon (R-3)
(614) 466-8064
E-mail

Senator Edna Brown (D-11)
(614) 466-5204
E-mail

Senator John Eklund (R-18)
(614) 644-7718
E-mail

Senator Eric Kearney (D-9)
(614) 466-5980
E-mail

Senator Scott Oelslager (R-29)
(614) 466-0626
E-mail

Senator Bill Seitz (R-8)
(614) 466-8068
E-mail

Senator Michael Skindell (D-23)
(614) 466-5123
E-mail

Senator Joe Uecker (R-17)
(614) 466-8082
E-mail

A statewide group promoting the right to keep and bear arms in Nevada filed a challenge to a “gun control” measure instigated by Michael Bloomberg’s Everytown organization, the Associated Press reported Monday. Nevadans for State Gun Rights notified Secretary of State Ross Miller of irregularities the group maintains should disqualify ballot measure-supporting signatures submitted by Nevadans for Background Checks.

The letter to Sec. Miller, signed by Nevadans for State Gun Rights President Don Turner, contained three requests for invalidation. The first noted petitions delivered after the required submission date. The second pointed out the lack of required affidavits for each page of signatures submitted, and that it specified the wrong county. The third showed an example of an affidavit signed and dated before all the signatures appearing on it had been obtained.

The irregularities uncovered add to concerns gun rights activists have noted for the entire ballot effort, which bears all the hallmarks of the I-594 initiative steamrolled through Washington State with a significant out-of-state and billionaire-funded political war chest. Far from being a group springing up from the grassroots, Nevadans for Background Checks is a documented front group backed by the Everytown for Gun Safety organization. The corporation name was reserved with the Nevada Secretary of State by the same New York law firm that represented Everytown’s trademark registration.

The Political Action Committee was headed by the Everytown treasurer, who also directed the I-594 Action Fund in Washington State.

Significantly, reporting that outside influence and control was neglected in local network television affiliate news reports when the signatures were submitted in November. As credible polling by Gallup shows “TV is Americans’ main source of news,” the effects of withholding such information from the electorate on important issues brought before them for a vote raises questions of proper compliance with Federal Communications Commission regulations.

http://www.examiner.com/article/nevada-grassroots-gun-rights-group-challenges-noncompliant-bloomberg-initiative?CID=examiner_alerts_article

http://news.yahoo.com/video/suspect-arrested-video-shows-man-152458874.html

The “suspect” is 24 and has 11 previous arrests,5 of which are sealed because they were juvenile offenses.

These are the type of people who deserve to be in prison for many years-none of this “community based corrections” bullshit-lock the piece of rotten,festering garbage up for at least 10 years for this-no early release.

Here we go again-evidence will be presented to a grand jury to determine if the officer should be charged.

CLEVELAND (AP) — A Cleveland policeman who fatally shot a 12-year-old thought the boy’s pellet gun was a real firearm and later said he had no choice, the officer’s father said.

The Nov. 22 shooting of Tamir Rice by 26-year-old police rookie Tim Loehmann outside a recreation center sparked protests in the area. Surveillance video shows Loehmann firing within two seconds of a patrol car stopping near Rice, who reached in his waistband for what turned out to be a pellet gun.

Loehmann’s father, Fred Loehmann, of Parma, told the Northeast Ohio Media Group (http://bit.ly/1wiyIHu ) that the officer didn’t know how young the boy was.

He recalled his son saying: “I was right there and he went for the gun. I had no choice.”

Through their lawyer’s spokesman, Rice’s family declined to comment on any details about Loehmann. His funeral is planned Wednesday.

The city, so far, has not released statements taken from Loehmann and his police partner or their personnel files. Loehmann, who joined Cleveland police in March after spending several months with the police department in suburban Independence, is described by others as a quiet, respectful guy who grew up in Catholic schools and tried to follow in his father’s footsteps, the publishing group said.

Fred Loehmann, who spent decades in law enforcement with New York police and the U.S. Marshals Service, said his son initially was in shock after the shooting, but is now doing “pretty well.”

“He’s living his life,” the father said. However, the family has received threats since police publicly identified the officers involved, he said.

The police department is investigating the officer’s use of deadly force, and the county prosecutor has said the case will be presented for a grand jury to decide whether any charges are merited.

http://news.yahoo.com/officer-shot-boy-had-no-choice-cops-dad-122923638.html